Many people don’t realize how important drinking water is or how good it may be for your skin and general health. Your skin, the largest organ in your body, protects you, helps regulate your body’s temperature, stores lipids and water, and prevents fluid loss. The most natural technique to achieve the radiant, glowing skin we all desire is to consume optimum water, meaning just as much body requires – no less/no more.
Why does the body need water?
Water is needed for the healthy functioning of the body. Water helps different body organs differently and overall helps lend good health with a hydrated body and flawless skin.
- Water helps eliminate metabolic waste by the kidney through urine.
- Water is a main constituent of sweat and therefore its intake helps regulate body temperature as it helps release excess heat.
- Water helps carry nutrients to cells and waste from cells to our excretory organs.
Water is essential but with the right balance in the body for overall health.
How much water per day should you be consuming?
Your metabolism, weight, height, and daily routine all affect how much water you should consume each day. Adults should typically consume 5 to 8 glasses of water each day, and even more if necessary. To stay hydrated and healthy, make sure you consume at least six glasses of water per day.
Water can do incredible things for your skin and for your general health, from assisting in the maintenance of your skin’s suppleness to minimizing wrinkles and fine lines.
Is it good to drink water in the morning every day?
Since we don’t drink anything while we sleep and that’s a long stretch of time, say about 6–8 hours. Hence drinking water in the morning should be the first thing. It is an excellent idea to start your day by drinking some water as our bodies have very low water levels when we get up in the morning. It helps improve digestion, ease constipation, and aid in the healthy functioning of overall body organs.
Many people don’t like to drink water first thing in the morning simply because it makes them feel sick hence to overcome such conditions people can prefer drinking water with a few drops of herb water like lavender, chamomile, lemongrass, etc. These herb waters are completely chemical and preservative-free and are a powerful source of nutrients like vitamin C, B, etc. which are helpful for the body.
Can drinking enough water help de-stress the body
Although stress is typically associated with unpleasant emotions, from a psychological standpoint, we are aware that there are several types of stress, including good stress and bad stress. Additionally, we recently showed through research that drinking enough water has a beneficial impact on stress. People who are well-hydrated typically report feeling happier and more alert. On the other side, those who are dehydrated typically report feeling less joyful and pleased.
Therefore, we can conclude that adequate hydration has a favorable impact on stress and well-being. Dehydration, on the other hand, has a negative effect on stress and causes poor stress. So, sufficient water intake affects stress.
Is water that we get from fruits enough to stay hydrated
Typically, the food you eat throughout the day provides your body with 20% of the water it needs. Raw fruits and vegetables often have the highest water content of any food. Increase your daily water intake while providing the body with vitamins, minerals, and fiber by eating a diet high in vegetables.
Does drinking more water help reduce weight or burn calories
It is true that drinking more water will help you burn more fat, and in some studies, it has also been shown to increase calorie expenditure, but only in specific circumstances.
Additionally, when you drink water rather than another beverage, you essentially burn the calories that are already in your system, which aids with weight management. Water is 100% calorie-free hence it will help burn fat stored in the body plus if water is consumed before the meal, it helps suppress the appetite resulting in less intake of food.
Does drinking coffee or tea cause dehydration
According to popular assumption, drinking coffee or tea does not necessarily result in dehydration.
Caffeine is a natural diuretic, therefore if not enough fluids are eaten, it may cause an increase in urine production and dehydration. Studies have revealed that caffeine’s moderate diuretic effect is balanced by the hydrating properties of the liquids in coffee or tea.
In reality, regular coffee and tea drinking has been shown to hydrate the body similarly to water (up to 400 mg of caffeine per day). This means that you are less likely to become dehydrated if you drink coffee or tea in moderation and get adequate water and other fluids throughout the day.
Do fruit juices and other beverages provide efficient and healthy hydration?
Fruit juices and other drinks can hydrate you, but how effective and healthful they are depends on a few different things.
Water, which is the primary element that gives hydration, may be found in the majority of fruit juices and other drinks. However, a lot of them also include extra sugars, artificial flavors, and other ingredients that, if drunk in large quantities, can be harmful to health.
Furthermore, certain fruit juices include a lot of natural sugars, which can cause blood sugar spikes and drops and may not be the ideal option for people with diabetes or other problems related to blood sugar.
Water is still the most effective and economical means to hydrate the body in terms of effectiveness. It is easily accessible, has no artificial ingredients or added sugars, and is readily absorbed by the body. It is a calorie-colorless, tasteless, and odorless liquid which often many people don’t like to drink hence flavored waters are fast becoming popular and healthy drinks.
Is drinking excess water healthy for the body?
Two things might cause you to become overhydrated: drinking too much water or having your kidneys retain too much water.
Water toxicity, commonly referred to as water poisoning, can result from overhydration in either situation. The amount of water in your body increases to the point where your kidneys can no longer eliminate it, which might cause the electrolytes in your body to become diluted.
You get hyponatremia when the sodium (salt) content is too diluted. The biggest issue with overhydration is this. Your body’s sodium levels drop significantly, which causes fluid to flow inside your cells and cause inflammation.
You will probably feel the following if you experience hyponatremia due to water toxicity:
- headache from pressure on the brain nausea and vomiting modifications in mental state, such as confusion or disorientation
- muscular pain
How much water to drink every day?
Guidelines for drinking enough water have been established by the Institute of Medicine. A healthy adult is advised to consume 9 to 13 cups of water on average per day. It’s also crucial to keep in mind that anything you eat, including fruits and vegetables, also includes water.
In spite of this, the quantity of water you should consume may vary and ought to roughly correspond to the volume of urine your kidneys produce. It’s possible that kids and teenagers have different needs from adults.
It’s crucial to keep in mind that water requirements change depending on the weather, level of exercise, and general health. Extreme heat, intense physical exertion, and fever illnesses are examples of occasions where greater fluid consumption may be necessary than usual.
A balanced intake of water is important to keep the internal organs hydrated however skin, the largest organ needs topical water for topical hydration to keep it healthy and beautiful. Water retention in skin pores is a must to help skin stay soft, smooth, and moisturized. A hydrated moisturized skin keeps skin concerns like itch, rash, dryness, dullness, etc. at bay.
Why Is Hydration Important for skin?
When your skin is adequately hydrated, it thrives. Your skin’s appearance and texture are impacted by hydration, making it softer and smoother. So, moisturized skin appears more youthful. Hydration involves adding water to the skin as opposed to moisturizing, which aids in moisture retention. Skin that is dehydrated might be dry or greasy. Dehydrated skin is lacking in water, while dry skin is characterized by a reduction in sebum production. Your skin may appear more lifeless, feel tighter, or be more prone to inflammation, congestion, and breakouts when it is dehydrated.
Let’s look at 7 ways that drinking water enhances skin.
- Sagging Skin – Sagging skin may result from rapid fat loss or drastic weight loss. Water fasting is a popular approach for tightening the skin, however, it’s unhealthy and can seriously harm your skin. You may gradually tighten your skin and keep a healthy glow by consistently consuming the right amount of water.
- pH Balance – It’s critical to keep your skin’s pH balance healthy. Any substance can have a pH between 0 and 14, with 14 being the most alkaline and 0 being the most acidic. The pH of pure water is exactly 7, making pH 7 a neutral value. You should consume more water in order to regulate your pH level and maintain good skin. To maintain the proper pH balance, it is crucial to properly cleanse your skin with water after using a facial cleanser. Drinking excess water can lead to flushing out organic acids from the body causing alkalinity and disturbing the healthy microbiome.
- Remove Toxins – Drinking water will help your body get rid of pollutants, particularly dangerous ones that could affect your general health. You may boost the health of both your body and your skin by drinking more water to flush out pollutants. While eating a nutritious diet and drinking water will also help flush out toxins, many people go on liquid diets to do so.
- Minimizes wrinkles – Your body stays hydrated and revitalized with water, which also helps to sustain the softness of your skin. People who consume a lot of water are less likely to develop scars, wrinkles, or soft lines, and they won’t age as quickly as people who consume less water. By consuming more water, you are assisting your body and skin in maintaining hydration. As you age, it becomes more difficult for your body to retain water.
- Prevents acne and pimples – Certain pollutants can clog the tiny pores on your epidermis, which can lead to problems like acne and pimples. By increasing your water intake, you can prevent severe acne and pimples. Your pores will clog less frequently the more hydrated & moisturized your skin is. Therefore oily skin products are non-acidic as alkalinity in them kills the bacteria and helps restore healthy skin.
Note – A slight acidic around 5.5 to 6 is healthy skin that helps good bacteria thrive and maintain healthy skin microbiome.
- Moisturize – You should thoroughly clean your skin with water as well as consume a lot of it—eight glasses a day, to be exact. Even in the colder months, taking a bath or shower every day may not seem ideal, but it is good for your skin to wash your body with water to clear out impurities and unclog pores, which will keep your skin moisturized and healthy.
- Elasticity – Your skin may not be as supple as it once was if you are dehydrated. Pinch your skin lightly to test its flexibility and watch to see if it recovers. You should drink more water to hydrate yourself and plump up your cells if it doesn’t recover. The skin around your eyes is one area that can darken if you have lost suppleness and are dehydrated.
- Best topical hydration solution – Herb waters also known as ark are the best natural topical use skin hydration products suitable for everyone’s use. These healthy chemical-free and preservative-free products are the best source of skin vital nutrients that help heal and nourish the skin.