Psoriasis Symptoms Causes and Treatment
Psoriasis is an immune system disorder that causes skin cells to multiply more quickly than they should. Psoriasis is a chronic, inflammatory autoimmune skin disease. This rapid generation of skin cells causes an excess buildup of skin, resulting in red, scaly rashes.
Types of Psoriasis
There are several types of psoriasis. Psoriasis types include plaque psoriasis, guttate psoriasis, inverse psoriasis, pustular psoriasis, and erythrodermic psoriasis.
- Plaque Psoriasis – Plaque psoriasis is the most common form of psoriasis and it is characterized by red-looking skin lesions topped with silvery-white scales.
- Inverse Psoriasis – It’s characterized by smooth patches of red skin that can worsen with friction and sweating. It usually occurs in the skin folds of the groin, buttocks, and breasts. It’s thought to be triggered by fungal infections.
- Guttate Psoriasis – Guttate psoriasis causes small, pinkish-red spots that are usually located on the chest, thighs, upper arms, or scalp.
- Psoriatic Arthritis – Sometimes psoriasis can affect more than the skin; it can affect your joints, a condition known as Psoriatic Arthritis which causes swollen and painful joints.
- erythrodermic psoriasis – The least common type of psoriasis, erythrodermic psoriasis can cover your entire body with a red, peeling rash that can itch or burn intensely.
Some common signs and symptoms include:
- Red patches of skin covered with thick, silver-colored scales
- Small scaly spots
- Dry, cracked skin that sometimes bleeds
- Itching, burning or soreness
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
- Swollen and/or stiff joints
What Triggers Psoriasis?
Common psoriasis triggers include:
- Skin injury, such as a cut, scrape, sunburn, or bug bite
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Weather, typically cold, dry conditions
- Certain medications
- Various infections
- Exposure to air conditioning
Psoriasis is treatable to a great extent but the method of treatment will vary depending on the severity, location, and how much of the skin is affected. Treatment options include:
- Gentle cleanser & cool water shower (avoid hot water bath)
- Natural healthy high moisturizing & hydrating skin care products
- Healthy lifestyle
- Topical therapies (emollients, medicated creams, medicated ointments)
- Systemic medications
- Ultraviolet light therapy
- Ayurvedic treatment
Psoriasis on scalp
Psoriasis can appear anywhere on the scalp. Sometimes a small patch develops, which can be easy to hide with hair. Scalp psoriasis also can cover the entire scalp. It’s important to use healthy and curative hair care products to control dry and itchy conditions.
Natural products for psoriasis
Natural products for psoriasis are making a stronghold in the market as people want to avoid using steroids because of its rising side effects. Products made with herb oils like babchi oil, chaulmoogra oil, karela peel infused sesame oil really help ease the condition and do not force much drugs into use.
Psoriasis affects more than skin and joints. It can also affect vital organs like the heart, lungs, and kidneys.
Psoriasis hair loss is temporary, and hair tends to regrow once psoriasis clears.
No, both eczema and psoriasis are two different disorders causing discomfort on the skin. The root sauce of both the concerns are different however both result in itch, inflammation, redness and scaly dry skin condition creating the confusion of being the same.
No, psoriasis is not a contagious skin disorder. It is an overactive immune response causing concern on the skin surface.
Though psoriasis is non-contagious meaning it does not spread from one person to another. But psoriasis can spread from one part of the body to other parts not by surface contact spread but with worsening immune disorder – psoriasis condition.
There is no conclusive evidence to point that psoriasis causes cancer.
Psoriasis vs atopic dermatitis
Though both may appear to be similar, the root sauce of both the skin discomforts are different. Psoriasis is the result of improper immune system working while eczema is caused due to various factors like dryness, chemical-based products, weather, allergies etc affecting the skin barrier.
Best natural Psoriasis skin moisturizer for children
Cold pressed oils are the best skin moisturizers for all including children as these are unscented, meaning without fragrance. Fragrance is often the cause of concern leading to discomfort on the skin. Hence oils like hempseed, babchi oil (always dilute and use )and gotu kola are really helpful in restoring the skin’s smoothness.