Dryness is discomfort in winters. Here’s how to deal with it effectively
Dryness is inevitable in winters and if not taken care of the right way with the right products – the discomfort can take a toll on the quality of life.
Dryness in the skin is often weather-based – reduced moisture in the air but many of our habits can cause intense dryness making the skin worse. So it’s important that we care for the skin the right way helping our skin stay normal and healthy through the winters.
- Lotions do not work as effectively as cold-pressed oils do. In case you do not like the aroma of cold-pressed oils – you can add essential oils like vetiver, Geranium, frankincense, marigold, etc to the oil. The lotion is just a fad, plant oils are forever.
- Do not use chemical-based products on the skin as harsh products strip the oil from skin pores resulting in intense dryness.
- Always wear soft cotton clothing beneath the woolen wear.
- Avoid hot air blowers as they not only create dryness in the skin but affect the overall health leading to dryness-related respiratory concerns.
Anti-aging lotions can be dangerous “Lotion is just a fad in skincare”. Plant oils are forever.
Dry skin is a concern when not addressed timely can lower the quality of life and give birth to different skin diseases. Hence it is important to care for the skin the right way to keep it normal and healthy completely free from itch and other concerns.
Dry skin and its related conditions are not new to mankind. The usage of different plant oils as a topical therapy to keep the skin nourished has been in place through different ages – different cultures. Something we all have witnessed in our homes that as soon as winters approached, a bottle of oil for everyone’s use is right in the bathroom to use immediately after the bath on the body as skin moisturizer.
But over the decades, we Indians too abandoned the best healthy way to keep the dry skin nourished during winters and moved on with well-marketed – highly promising body lotions, face creams/moisturizers etc. never paying attention to ingredients.
Hence we apply a number of chemicals and preservatives on our skin each time we apply body lotion.
These body and face lotion composition calls for addition of chemicals and preservatives making them certainly not a healthy & natural choice to nourish the skin.
Lotion = Water + Oil
Water/aqua is often listed as the first ingredient in the lotion.
Now Since water and oil do not mix on its own,
So we need a emulsifier to blend the two with each other to form a homogenous mixture.
Lotion = Water + Oil + Emulsifier
Emulsifier cannot be 100% natural. It can be derived from the plant produce but the multiples stages of processing to derive the emulsifier do not let the produce be natural, rather it is processed and often prepared by adding various solvents etc.
Now, that water is added, a stabilizer is needed to improve the shelf life of the product/ prevent from going bad.
Lotion = Water + Oil + Emulsifier + Stabiliser
Now, fragrance and colour is needed to make the product attractive in terms of look and aroma.
Lotion = Water + Oil + Emulsifier + Stabiliser + Fragrance + Colour
So here Oil & water is the need of the skin to keep it healthy – normal free from dryness and other concerns
Rest all ingredients are out of the need of the composition and to draw consumer attention (market) making them smell similar to perfume and colourful.
The lotion is a cost-effective product benefitting the manufacturers as it contains majorly water which is free-flowing.
Hence it’s important that consumers be made aware and the unhealthy fad does not continue for long.
Eat healthily and apply healthy too.
Healthy Alternative to Lotions
So often the consumer finds difficulty in finding the natural and healthy alternative to lotions. As soon as they hear the word oil, they become skeptical and never give it a chance simply because they carry the mindset that oils are greasy and do not provide the effective moisturization as lotions do.
But think, a bottle of lotion often lures consumers with the highlighted names of plant derived oils and butters like almond oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, coconut oil etc. to name a few. Are these oils not greasy? They are but then the best traditionally time tested way to make use of them is using immediately after the shower on wet/moist skin or use them with water. This way a few drops of oil can moisturize the whole body as water/moistness on the surface of the skin helps oil spread easily and penetrate into the skin pores. And making use of water and oil immediately one after the other does not call for application of chemicals and preservatives(if you apply lotion) on the skin while delivering the better long last moisturization effect but in the most healthy, natural and above all economical way.
There are multiple cold pressed oils with different properties helpful for different skin types. At SNAANA we blend different in house cold pressed oils with in-house steam distilled essential oils for different skin needs through different age groups. Find the most suitable oil for your body skin type here.
As the winter approaches, we start looking for dryness catering products. Why?
If you are using a truly – 100% chemical and preservative-free product line in your daily routine – you really don’t have to change your skin care products similar to your wardrobe with change in season.
Your basic skin type remains the same all through the year. It’s the application of the product that varies from season to season.
For example, hot weather helps the skin produce more sebum than cold weather reducing the need for a moisturizer. An oily skin individual will not find dry skin catering formulation helpful in winters as it may lead to clogged pores and related follow-up symptoms.
Hence be it summer or winter, it’s important to use the product basis the skin type. SNAANA Skin Care products based on your skin type helps you customize your skincare routine to target the specific skincare concern that arises around the year with changes in weather. Keeping skin healthy with the changes in the seasons from summers to Monsoon to autumn to winter is simple, healthy, and economical with SNAANA.
Here is how you can make a simple transition in using the same product all through the year.
- Summer – Rising temperature leads to increased oil production & shine on skin, Sweat.- To overcome this, increase the quantity of toner (Herb water) application and reduce the quantity of cream( a light layer of cream covering the face, mixed with toner would suffice.) Exfoliation twice a week on the face & body is really crucial to help shed off the dead skin and oil from pores clearing the skin pores to breathe easily followed by light oil on the body after shower and cream on face. Cleansing the face twice a day is important to remove oil. Dirt and other pollutants from the skin.
- Winters – With falling temperatures, the moisture levels dip giving us dryness, and a dull skin tone. The key to healthy skin in winters is -toner followed by a rich cream. SNAANA pea size cream is rich enough for a normal skin tone application on the face. SNAANA does not make market-like creams and lotions because we are against chemicals and preservatives and therefore we do not add water to our products. And when water is not there we don’t need chemicals and preservatives. We believe in waterless beauty products, a traditional concept making a strong come back.
- Autumn – This is post-monsoon time and pre winters so it’s a normal season where dryness starts coming up with reducing moisture levels in the air. So a toner followed by normal usage of cream may be a pea size or slightly less to it will custom you skin type need. Similarly, Pre Monsoon weather needs can be customized by each one of us according to the requirement of the skin.