The Indian food safety Authority allows hemp seeds products to be used as a food source
FSSAI, The Indian food safety regulator recognizes hemp seeds products like hemp seeds, hemp seed oil, hemp seed powder, etc. as food sources. The notification regularizes the use of hemp seeds or seed products to be sold as food or used as an ingredient in a food for sale subject to conforming to the notified parameters like THC, CBD, labeling, etc.
The authority permits the use of hemp seeds and seeds products only as the seeds are healthy, nutrient-rich, and above all safe to use in terms of psychoactive side effects. The low THC in hemp seeds does not make you high at all but certainly, gives your body the vital multi-nutrients and thereby helps in inculcating good health.
Must know these 8 points mentioned in the notification (As per the Gazette of India published on 15th November 2021)
- The hemp seed, hemp seed oil, hemp seed flour shall be sold as food or used as an ingredient in food for sale. The use of other parts of the hemp plant like leaf is not permissible.
- Any other product in which hemp seed or seeds products used should not exceed the total THC content of 5 mg/kg in that food. The total THC should not exceed 0.2mg/kg in any beverage containing or made from hemp seed. (It’s the THC that gets you high) Although hemp seeds naturally contain very low THC but still authority has mentioned the limit to keep a check/ ensure no psychoactive substance addition/adulteration.
- The food product containing hemp seed or seeds product should not be labeled or presented in a way that implies the product has psychoactive effect.
- The cannabidiol (CBD) in any food containing hemp seed or seed products should not exceed 75 mg/kg. CBD is non psychoactive hence does not result in high. CBD is one of the natural chemical compounds called cannabinoids found in cannabis species.
- Cannabinoids in any food containing hemp seeds or seeds products should be naturally present.
6. The label for the food containing hemp seed or seeds products should not include-
- a. an image or representation of any other part of the plant other than the seed.( other parts of the hemp plant are not permitted to use)
- b. a nutrient content claim about CBD
- c. a health claim about CBD
- d. words like cannabis or marijuana or words of similar meaning
7. The label for the food containing hemp seeds or seeds product for sale may use/include the word “Hemp”
8. The manufacture, import or sale of any product containing hemp seeds or seeds product intended for administration to infants up to the age of 2 years/24 months is not allowed.
Hemp seed or products made from it like hemp seed oil, flour, etc are super healthy to use in day-to-day life as face oil, body oil, body massage oil, food supplement etc. The nutrient profile of the oil makes it a natural supplement and medicine for the body & skin conditions like body and scalp disorders like intense dryness, eczema, pain in muscles & joints, hair loss, etc.
Always make sure to buy the best quality hemp seed oil as the market space is full of adulterated oils too.
Know the making of cold-pressed hemp seed oil here.