Meaning uses and benefits of Hydrosol
The benefits of Hydrosol – Hydrosol meaning as the name explains is a water solution that is prepared using plant material like stems, leaves, fruits and their peels, roots, bark, flower/petals, etc.
Making of Hydrosol
Making of Hydrosol is not a newly devised technique, It is an ancient practice called steam distillation (deg bhapka method). It is the same process that is used to extract essential oils. This environment-friendly practice produces pure hydrosols that are rich with water-soluble nutrients of the herb (Plant material).
This water solution called hydrosol was used in Food, Skincare, Medicine/c, Religious rituals, and much more in earlier times.
But with different industrial revolutions, cheap and alcohol & paraffin-based fragrances and scented waters have made their way to each of these areas pushing the traditional distilleries to closure.
Hence, the true real hydrosol and essential oil have almost disappeared from the market.
And the natural market nowadays is majorly flourished with deceiving products with names like floral mist, flower water, plant water, herbal mist, herb water, botanical water, aromatic water, for example – rose water, lavender water, green tea, green apple, etc. It is quite common to see an expensive hydrosol adulterated with distilled water & synthetic/preservative.
You may often come across fake hydrosols in the form of face toner or face mist.
At SNAANA, we only make rose water and do not make the rose oil.
The steam distillation technique of making essential oil & hydrosol is similar to our rain process where steam passes through the plant material stored in a closed deg/pot. The steam, when rises up – carries along with it the volatile and water-soluble nutrients. On rising up and coming in contact with the condenser (cool tank)- the oil & water vapor turns to water drops which are collected in a sterile jar. The oil and water, despite being collected in one beaker, are naturally separated due to different specific gravity. The oil floats on top of the hydrosol.
Pure hydrosols are skillfully produced with artistic precision as an important product rather than a side product of distillation. Many plants –herbs do not contain essential oil and are steam distilled only for hydrosols.
Is hydrosol drinkable?
Yes, hydrosols are steam distilled water of herbs good for eat, apply and inhale purposes. However just make sure to buy an edible hydrosol as the market is full of misleading products. True hydrosols are traditionally prepared drinks that do not even contain preservatives and have a shelf life of more than a year.
Since every skin needs are different, it’s best to choose a hydrosol that suits your skin type. Know more about hydrosols for skin here.
Yes, hydrosols are the best natural, potent and effective toner helpful in treating & maintaining good skin.
Yes, hydrosols are oil-free tonic for hair.
No, hydrosol are steam distilled herb water made since centuries also known as ark while floral waters are fragrance water prepared using fragrance, emulsifier, water and preservative. Therefore true hydrosols are edible while floral waters are not.
It is your choice however hydrosols should always be kept at room temperature and away from direct sunlight.
Real hydrosols do not need preservatives to obtain shelf life
Hydrosols do not need preservatives for about a year and more when collected & stored in a clean & sterile preferably amber-colored glass container. And this simply is because – all the debris, the matter is left behind and the water collected in the beaker is free of any contamination making it easily stay for more than a year when stored properly.
Hydrosol is a potent complex mixture that contains water-soluble nutrients plus needle-like essential oil dispersed in the water somewhere about less than 0.2% which lends hydrosol to their aroma.
And this makes hydrosols super nutrient-rich tonic water.
Benefits of Hydrosol
- Medicine – Hydrosols of herbs like Holy basil, ginger, marjoram, etc. are used as medicine to treat respiratory concerns like cold & cough. Herbs like peppermint, fennel, and carom are used to treat indigestion concerns. Hydrosols are potent and effectively work in the upkeep of body functioning without the need to look for allopathic medication.
- Eye toner – Hydrosols like Rosewater as eye drops help tone the eyes, overcome fatigue. It is an eye tonic for all those who spend a long time in front of the screen. It can help clean the eyes & improve their health.
- Supplement – Hydrosols are rich in water-soluble nutrients like the Vitamin B & C family. For example, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folacin, folic acid, and much more.
- Skin toner/mist – Hydrosols when used as skin toner or mist can benefit the skin in multiple ways like – Relieve itch concerns, improve the hydration in skin pores, balance the skin pH, soothe inflammation, improve the skin texture and shrink the skin pores. Different hydrosols work for different skin types.
- Aromatherapy – Hydrosols are gentle but effective versions of essential oils. Individuals usually connect better with hydrosols and feel calm & relaxed, especially those with sensitivity.
- Food – Hydrosols of thyme, oregano, lemongrass, and many more culinary herbs are used in salads and soups for centuries. Rose or vetiver hydrosols are often used in shakes & smoothies to enhance the flavor & make it nutrient-rich. Sweet lime & peppermint are used in lemonade.
- Religious rituals – Rose petals & water is used in religious rituals & ceremonies, as a welcome spray at all festive seasons and weddings across the world.
How Hydrosols are better than Essential oils
- Hydrosol is a complete plant in a drop containing both hydrophilic (water-soluble nutrients) and lipophilic (oil molecules – dispersed) in it.
- Hydrosols are less expensive than essential oil.
- Hydrosols are not as strong- concentrated as essential oils hence it becomes convenient to deal with them. Gentle hydrosols can be used on individuals with sensitivity concerns.
Hydrosols despite being used extensively in ancient times are not much known in today’s world. Therefore people with some information look for detailed information on the internet like hydrosol uses and benefits, hydrosol for acne, pure hydrosols, Hydrosol examples, Hydrosols Definition, Hydrosol Chemistry, Herbal Hydrosols, Hydrosol vs Toner, Hydrosol Aromatherapy, Hydrosol for Acne, etc.
Chamomile Hydrosol [Steam Distilled Chamomile Tea Benefits]₹560.00 – ₹3,425.00 Incl. of all taxes
Lavender Hydrosol (Steam Distilled Water/Ark of Lavender)₹280.00 – ₹2,760.00 Incl. of all taxes
Here is what you can do to store your hydrosols for a long time. Care is needed especially for chemical & preservative-free products like hydrosols to ensure the hydrosols do not go bad quickly.
- Store hydrosols in glass bottles/jars
- Always tight the bottle immediately after each use.
- Keep the bottle away from sunlight, preferably in a cupboard or refrigerator. Do not freeze it.
- Keep the bottle in a cool place if you do not want to keep it in a refrigerator.
- Do not mix anything into the bottle.
If you are allergic to any herb, we suggest you not use its hydrosol too. When using the product for the first time, be it for consumption or application; always test/observe after usage before incorporating it into your daily intake/application routine.