Ayurvedic Benefits Of Manjistha For The Skin, Health & Hair
Manjistha is known as a magic herb for various skin and health-related issues. Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), popularly known as Madder, Rubia root, Majith, or Manjitti, is a popular Ayurvedic herb that assists in blood purification. Benefits of Manjistha – It contains red pigments, has hot potency, and tastes sweet, astringent and bitter. The herb is enriched with vitamins, minerals, and bioactive components, which offer anti-microbial, anti-ulcer, pain-relieving, and anti-inflammatory characteristics.
- Effective for skin issues like eczema, itching, dryness, psoriasis, vitiligo, and acne.
- Flushes out toxins and purifies the blood
- Boosts healing of wounds and improves glow and complexion of the skin.
- Cures fever
- Cures poisoning
- Treats toxic conditions
- Cures diabetes
- Cures diseases of the urinary tract
- Treats eye disorders
Fact - Manjistha can be used in multiple forms like manjistha powder, manjistha infused oil, manjistha tea to use as a paste/ ubtan on skin, apply oil on hair or body, drink decoction of its stems or roots etc. It is an edible herb.
Health Benefits of Manjistha
- Manages Heart Health – Manjistha is good for the heart as it acts as a calcium channel blocker to manage irregular cardiac rhythm.
- Fights Respiratory Issues – Blessed with powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, and anti-asthmatic properties, Manjistha is considered to be a well-known traditional remedy for all sorts of respiratory troubles.
- Remedy for PCOD Symptoms – Manjistha is a magical remedy for all sorts of hormonal problems. It plays a quintessential role in regulating periods, treating postnatal ailments, and even helps to treat excessive abdominal pain/bleeding.
- Promotes Digestion – Manjistha even helps in treating a host of digestive woes. The anti-flatulent property reduces the formation of gas in the alimentary canal, thus reducing flatulence, bloating, constipation, and abdominal distension.
- Immunity enhancer – It helps to boost immunity and increases the white blood cells of the immune system. The herb increases the strength of the body to fight against various infections and debilitating diseases.
Skin Benefits of Manjistha
The blood purifying action of Manjistha contributes to keeping the skin healthy in many ways. It can relieve the itching from eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis. Because of its powerful effect on the lymph system, Manjistha is considered one of the best herbs for healthy skin. The abundance of antioxidants in this herb can help to reduce wrinkles, and fine lines and give the skin an overall youthful appearance.
Despite being hot in potency, manjistha is a pittahara meaning it pacifies the pitta (heat) in the body. And therefore helpful in treating increased bile/pitta causing disorders in the body like acne.
Manjistha is beneficial in treating many skin disorders like
- Dryness and eczema
- Blemishes/ pigmentation
- Active acne pimples and their marks
- Burns & inflammation
- Cracked heels
Manjistha benefits for Hair
Manjistha can be used to manage hair problems like greying of hair. Manjistha is effective in controlling hair fall. It helps to remove excessive dryness that controls dandruff and thus prevents hair fall.
- Manjistha hair oil will help in adding shine to the hair and strengthen hair roots.
- The antioxidant properties & anti-stress activity help in preventing excessive hair loss and promote healthy hair growth.
- It enhances the natural color of the hair.
Manjistha Side Effects
- Excessive use of Manjistha powder can cause constipation in some women.
- Overdose of this herb can change the color of your stool and urine into brown or orange.·
- If you are a breastfeeding mother, you should avoid taking this herb for safety concerns. Consult your doctor for detailed information.